Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chocolait: And Old Favorite

One of my favorite sweet drinks during my childhood was Magnolia Chocolait. I still remember buying at least two one-liter cartons every time we do our monthly groceries. What I like about the beverage is the rich chocolate taste. Every time I opened a fresh carton, I could immediately smell the tasty cocoa aroma. It really was a chocolate-flavored milk drink but I could tell that it contained more chocolate than milk and sugar. Whenever I pour a glass of Chocolait, I remember that it always leaves a brown stain or residue at the bottom of the glass. That's how intense and flavorful the drink was.

The chocolate drink then disappeared in the market for quite some time. It turned out that the company improved the brand and appearance of the product. They kept the name, launched a new design and created a variety of serving sizes. As you can see from the photo, it is available in 110mL cartons, which is about the size of my palm. So much for the new look. How does it taste? Sadly, Magnolia was not able to preserve Chocolait's original flavor. Now, it tastes like it has more milk and sugar than chocolate. The decrease in cocoa is probably due to the company's cost-cutting measures. This may also explain the tiny 110mL servings.

It has been years since I last had Chocolait and now it doesn't taste quite as good as I remember it. Then again, maybe today's generation approves of the drink's new recipe. Like my Hershey's review, I could have outgrown these types of drinks and my tastebuds are not anymore credible to conduct this review in the first place.

No comments: