Friday, December 11, 2009

Fried Bread Sticks - A New Look

Two Saturdays ago, I went to my godchild's baptism and naturally, there was a party afterwards. The catered food was terrific and it made the event an elaborate family gathering. What caught my attention was this curious-looking dessert. I was told that it was a kind of bicho-bicho or deep fried bread sticks. Normally, a bicho-bicho is soft, chewy and sprinkled over with white sugar crystals or powdered sugar. These bread sticks are dipped in pink candy coating and glazed with sprinkles. Needless to say that the pastry is extremely sweet. They look like donuts without the round shape but it feels like eating wafers or crackers. The bread sticks are brittle and very crunchy, unlike their traditional counterparts. The candy coating adds a sudden boost of flavor that tingled my taste buds. It's just a shame that I wasn't able to get the name of the caterer nor was I able to take home some of those delicious pastries since I need to watch my sugar intake. After all, I already had more than six bread sticks that afternoon. To the catering company who served that party, I congratulate you for such a wonderful and addictive pastry.

No comments: