Friday, October 9, 2009

What Great Syrups Are Made Of

No reviews about chocolate drinks for today. I want to share something I saw at the supermarket. It's a box of red, luscious raspberries. That fruit is normally grown in countries with cold climates so obviously it is nowhere to be found in this tropical country. As an imported good, it carries a hefty price tag and it can be bought in A-market areas. I found this in a grocery in Makati City.

I love raspberry in its processed form like syrups, candies and fruit ice cream. The mildly sweet taste of this produce makes it a great additive or flavoring. The fruity essence of raspberry syrup complements the bitterness of drinks such as coffee and black tea. As for its raw fruit form I still have yet to try it, though. I bet it will pack a strong citrus taste, which is absent in its processed form.

I'm not entirely sure about the existence of raspberries grown in the Philippines. In Baguio, I saw a boxes of blueberries but they are only sold in small quantities. Probably the farmers there are in the verge of perfecting the cultivation of berries. Hopefully there will be locally-grown raspberries in the future instead of just strawberries. And speaking of strawberries, check out this box of fat suckers I found in the same grocery.

No comments: