Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ovaltine 3 in 1

The industry trend of having fast and economical products and services led companies to re-engineer the packaging of their goods. Take the case of Ovaltine for instance. They launched a 3-in-1 drink sachet, which is great for people on the go.

But if you highly value food flavor like me, you might be disappointed with this product. The mix is a combination of Chocolate-malt exract, milk and sugar. The problem is that the proportions of those ingredients may not be suited to your taste. In fact, you have to be very careful at how much water you dissolve the powder into. I don't even know what the exact amount is needed to achieve the perfect balance between volume and flavor. Dissolving it into half a mug of water preserves its taste but does not produce a satisfactory volume. Add a little bit over that amount and the beverage suddenly loses its flavor.

I think this characteristic is also true for the regular Ovaltine Chocolate Powder Drink. I remember that I used to consume up to half a glassful or more of the mix just to get the strong cocoa flavor. Sometimes I just eat the powder raw since its liquid form is too weak. I'm not sure if this is really how Ovaltine is intended to be or if there is something in its ingredient that serves as a flavor retardant (could it be the malt extract?). All I can say that I find it difficult dealing with this drink and the perfect water to mix ratio is yet to be discovered.

No comments: