Thursday, November 5, 2009

Black Forest Bread Style

As I have mentioned before, I'm a big fan of the Black Forest flavor. So far I have seen it used as a variant of cakes, ice cream and coffee. And I thought the food manufacturers have already exhausted the kind of products they can use this flavor on. So I was surprised and excited to see Gardenia making a Black Forest bread. They have really out done themselves this time.

So how does the flavored bread fair? The pastry has a strong sweet, chocolaty scent. But to my surprise, the taste is very (emphasize on "very") faint. You have to focus on your taste buds' actions to notice the weak aftertaste. It claims to be made of cherries yet I sense no fruity sensations other than the ones in the bread's scent. There is a thin lining of, what I suspect to be, cherry jelly swirls on the slices. However, these swirls are not uniformly present in each loaf, probably because the breads are made in batches and not by piece. A good indication of a relatively heavy jelly content is the bread's dark color. The darker or heavier the color, the more flavorful it is.

Despite this feedback, I'm not at all disappointed with Gardenia's flavored bread. After all, if they really intended to create a pastry with a strong resemblance to cake, then they would have made cupcakes, muffins or pies. At Php 65 per loaf, it's quite expensive and it's no substitute for the real black forest cake. But the innovative idea behind its flavor still makes it, as it says on the label, AMAZING!

No comments: