Sunday, September 20, 2009

At Cafe Xocolat

Sunday mornings are usually the perfect time to drive to Katipunan Avenue and hang out at the coffee shops. There is no traffic and parking is plentiful. But today, I decided to try out the restaurant that I read about in business magazines. Cafe Xocolat, or simply Xocolat for short, is a Filipino-owned cafe/restaurant that serves, what else, chocolate products. From ice blended drinks to cakes and brownies, they always have something to offer the average chocolate addict. I've always been primarily curious about their chocolate drinks. Now, I had the chance to check them out for myself.

I bought the Xocolat Lava. It's one of their best-sellers. The title "Lava" gives justice to the richness of the chocolate drink. It tasted just like those hot coca drinks served in luxury hotels. What I can say about it is that the taste is very, very genuine as if the drink was made from freshly processed cacao beans. It's not over sweetened with sugar nor is it diluted with too much milk. The bitter-sweet taste captures the true essence of chocolate. But for a small cup (refer to picture above) priced at Php 115 it's certainly not a substitute for those expensive chocolate drinks made by multinational corporations like Coffee Bean and Starbucks. I personally haven't tried the imported counterparts of Xocolat so I can't give a conclusive comparison between Xocolat Lava and the other brands yet aside from their prices.

No comments: