Monday, January 11, 2010

Strawberry Farm

I always love visiting farms when I'm on tour. I'm able to get in touch with the nature of a foreign land. And when the climate is cold, it's fun to see crops that don't normally grow in tropical climates. That's why I was so excited when we visited a Strawberry Farm in Korea. I've seen strawberries before in the supermarkets but not in the form when they are still attached to the vine. Since it was the winter season, I thought that the fruits won't be available or at least I won't get to see the fat, red strawberries. It turns out that the Korean farmers use greenhouses. They were able to grow the berries in a controlled environment.


We were allowed to pick five pieces of strawberries each. But it was challenging since the greenhouses were muddy and slippery. It was also difficult searching for the fat, red ones since it is not the harvesting season. The strawberries were surprisingly sweet and they have a different texture. Unlike the other ones I have eaten, which were crunchy and firm, the Korean strawberries were soft and gelatinous. It felt like I was eating jelly. Maybe that's how fresh strawberries really taste like. Either that or the Korean variety of the fruit is really that fantastic.


The strange thing about the place is that I didn't see any farmers or workers managing the property. I only saw a farm cat surveying and supervising the area.

No comments: