Thursday, January 14, 2010

Kimchi: The Red Cabbage

The most popular side dish in every Korean meal is the Kimchi. It is pickled cabbage with lots of red chili. It is perfect for those cold winter days to “heat-up” or possibly even burn your system. Locals admit that they can't survive a day without eating Kimchi. And they simply adore foreigners who get so fond of the side dish. They would gladly re-fill your bowls again.

I loved the red cabbage when I tried it for the first time. But like any other dish, Kimchi can be prepared in different ways. Some like it with a stronger picked flavor where the sour taste of vinegar is very noticeable. Some even like it extremely hot where you can feel the red chili biting your tongue. Personally, I like my Kimchi to have a mild vinegar taste. I don't mind if it is very spicy but only if the weather is below zero degrees Celsius. Kimchi is a proof just how flavorful Korean cuisine really is.

No comments: