Thursday, February 21, 2008

OJT! Holy Crap!

This coming summer, I have the option of either taking a Business Tour of China or an OJT. Both options look attractive but I must only choose one. If I take the Business Tour, I can still take an OJT, in theory. However, it'll be difficult applying for a GOOD company in the middle of summer! If I choose to look for an OJT, I'll lose the chance of going to China and the opportunity of bonding with some of my block mates. It'll also be a risk because it's still not 100% sure if a reputable company will hire me. They say that I shouldn't rely solely on online applications and job fairs because the firms usually put them aside and even go as far as to not read them. If I really want to be hired, I must actually go to the company's office and submit my request personally. I guess I underestimated the competition for jobs in the country.

It's decided then. The China Business Tour will only serve as my backup. I'll prioritize applying for an OJT (or if possible, 2). But I have to decide fast since the Business Tour application deadline is a week away.

Let's see... what are the companies that I have in mind for my OJT:

1. San Miguel Corp - I've submitted an online application but if necessary, I'll have to go to their main office in Mandaluyong

2. Nestle - also sent an application through JobStreet. I have a friend who offered me to fast-track my application. Unfortunately I lack some documents. (Sorry dude, I'll have to decline for now. But thanks anyway!)

3. PIPAC - the laboratory inside our school. Offered us a job but it sounded more of like a thesis project than an OJT. The perks of this is that we still get full access to the Ateneo's resources and facilities (like the library) even if we're not currently enrolled there. We'll also gain access to polymer companies in the country like Uratex.

4. Manila Observatory - another science institute conveniently located inside our school. It's not where I'm expect to go to since the organization is not a business in nature. But believe it or not, the department approves of this for our OJT. I'll have to pay a visit within the week and see my chances of getting accepted.

There are only 4 companies so far. This ain't enough. I must look for more job openings. I must try harder.

No comments: