Monday, July 27, 2009

Still Curious About the Micro


I never really possessed a gameboy until the arrival of the SP. That old bulky unit that runs on AA batteries, plays limited games, gives pixelated resolution and black and white graphics seemed like a very costly commodity to maintain. Buying a unit for myself seemed like a real waste of money. But now, thanks to the advances in computer technology, Nintendo gave the aging console brand a new life. The GBA SP is a leap in innovation from it's predecessors. It has a rechargeable battery to extend game play and reduce costs in maintaining it. The LCD gave a clearer, more colorful and richer graphics. Nintendo also added shoulder buttons to add more functions and complexity in the games. What I like best is that the game cartridges are half the size of their old counterparts. The more compact the unit and parts are, the more portable they are. Nintendo even went further in making the GBA more compact when they released GBA Micro.

I'm pretty happy with my current SP. Although it satisfies my gaming needs, I'm still curious about the experience GBA Micro has to offer. I'm really intrigued about its size but I'm concerned about the screen size. Some say its not really a problem while others say the difference is significant. And compared to the clam shell design of the SP, the screen is relatively more vulnerable to damages and scratches since the Micro cannot fold up. I used to love the headphone jack of the Micro but since I turn off the sounds (to conserve battery) when I play, it's not anymore a concern. Price is not anymore an issue since they now have similar selling prices in the market. I guess the SP is still a better choice. With my big thumbs, I need a more durable unit and the bigger screen of the SP just might save me from more eye strains.

No comments: